Sacred Heart School in Moreauville, Louisiana was opened in 1899 and staffed by the Daughters of the Cross Sisters. The convent and the school were dedicated to Saint Francis de Sales, Founder of the Daughters of the Cross Sisters.
Tragedy struck Sacred Heart Church on Christmas Day in 1908 when fire burned everything: Church, school, convent, and rectory. The people of the parish readily answered to the call of the pastor, Father Gimbert, to rebuild the entire parish plant. By the end of November, 1910, the Church, the school, convent, and rectory were completed.
The school continued to operate until 1920, when it had to close due to the dropping of enrollment. The low number of children and the insufficient funds caused the Daughters of the Cross Sisters to withdraw. Shortly after the departure of the Sisters, the old building was sold to the public school system and moved out.
Twenty-eight years later, in 1947, Father DeKeurver asked the Daughters of the Cross Sisters to return to Moreauville to reopen the school. Since the old building had been sold, Father DeKeurver and the people of Moreauville had to build a new school building.
In 1953 a new pastor came to Moreauville, Father John Peeters. He stayed until 1956. During his time, the school was enlarged by extending the auditorium and adding a rear wing with two additional classrooms.
Monsignor John Timmermans was named pastor of Sacred Heart on November 19, 1959. Under his leadership the restoration and repairing of the fifty year old Church was completed.
In the spring of 1963, the Daughters of the Cross Sisters announced that, due to the shortage of Sisters in the congregation, they would no longer staff the school. In the fall of 1963, Sacred Heart School came under the direction of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. This congregation has served the diocese of Alexandria since their arrival from Italy in 1947.
Sacred Heart School was granted state approval for the first time during the 1964-1965 school year. It has remained approved and accredited by the state ever since.
The 70’s brought many changes to Sacred Heart School. Due to the closing of St. Paul School in Mansura in 1970, the enrollment increased considerably, and two classrooms had been added. In 1972, a new cafeteria was built and the old one was remodeled and converted into a comfortable library.
Sacred Heart School expanded by the addition of a large gymnasium. A Kindergarten classroom was also added, in addition to a storage room and a concession facility. In August 1983 the school was air-conditioned.
The curriculum has been enriched with the addition of a computer lab.
In June, 1993, Monsignor John Timmermans retired and Father Joseph Montalbano was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart Parish.
In the summer of 1995, the Science Lab was added. This addition enabled to centralize the Science material to make it available to all teachers.
Also in the summer of 1995, the office area of the school was remodeled. The renovation consisted of an office for the Principal, Secretary, First Aid room, and a work room with copy machines and filing cabinets for the school’s files. The Library was also completely remodeled.
In 1995, Sr. Martina Bernabe, then principal, was replaced by Sr. Anthony Castellani, Our Lady of Sorrows Sisters.
In July, 1999, Father Joseph Montalbano retired and Father George Krosfield was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart Parish.
In the summer of 2003, the existing Science Lab was moved into the main building in connection with the Computer Room. The Science lab has been remodeled and made into a Pre K room with an additional classroom added on for the Kindergarten class.
June, 2006, Father George Krosfield was transferred by order of the Bishop and Father Marc Noel was appointed pastor of Sacred Heart Parish.
In 2007-2008 Sacred Heart began expanding the school by adding a second class to the Pre Kindergarten section, adding one (1) additional grade each year thereafter.
In the summer of 2008 a new building (Renzi Building) with four (4) classrooms (Kindergarten and First Grade) bathrooms, kitchenette, workroom, and janitor’s room was completed.
In 2008-2009, the school computerized the library, upgraded the Accelerated Reading program, added School Reach program that enhances efficient communication to parents, and designed a school website which makes homework, grades, etc. available to parents via RenWeb school management program.
In the summer of 2009, the seating area of the cafeteria was expanded to accommodate the additional students.
During the summer of 2010, an additional four classrooms were added to the existing Renzi Building. The addition allows for 2 sections of 2nd and 3rd grade. The former principal, Sr. Anthony Castellani, OLS, was replaced by
Sr. Sandra Norsworthy, OLS.
Sacred Heart School operates under the direction of Father Marc Noel and the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows. The enrollment is at its all time high. Many students currently enrolled are children of former students. This confidence shown is surely a tribute to Sacred Heart School and to all who have contributed to its growth.